Reflecting on Unit X


On reflection, the most important factor I have learnt from Unit X is that it is integral to keep communication levels high and to be in a positive and open state of mind. Our group were relatively successful in organising frequent meetings and keeping in contact through the use of social media in order to share ideas, concepts and new or developed techniques. The outcome has been that I have taken a bolder experimental attitude and concentrated more on textural processes.

By producing collaborated samples with Jordan and encouraging her to use her embroidery knowledge on my graphic screen prints, it created a new dimension of textural interest to my work and added delicate and thoughtful accents; effectively regenerating my creative train of thought. Being exposed to new and exciting techniques was the highlight of the unit for me personally, I believe now that I will consider more processes and have more inventive outcomes for future projects. Being able to have constant feedback readily available was also a positive aspect of unit X, and kept me motivated throughout the development period.


Tufting on Megan's digital printed weave
The initial step of planning and gathering information was both exciting and difficult. The amount of diverse ideas and concepts contributed by group members was overwhelming, and due to the lack of compromise by some individuals, it took perhaps a lot longer than anticipated. Although the majority of our group came to the MMU environmental studies showing of the really informative  'A Plastic Ocean', some went off on a different tangent, further complicating the process of direction. When finally deciding on the 'Coral Bleaching' topic as a group, I personally began looking into the forms of coral 'skeletons'; the structure left behind when the organisms deplete. I could then begin my sampling process. I thought it would be interesting to experiment with the concept of contrasting the bright and healthy colours of living coral, with the white and dark stark shapes of the bleached and dead; therefore creating layered printed outcomes. 


Visualisation of tufted sample 
Reflecting back on my samples, I had a lot of complications when ensuring that the colour scheme represented the negative issues I was concentrating on. I adapted to this situation in some cases by stitching onto the surface, and therefore toning down the neon's in order to draw the attention back to the bleaching process. Analysing my samples now, I interpret the collection as if it was a literal visualisation of the coral bleaching process. Some samples illustrate healthy contrasting corals, which then develop into skeletal black and white compositions using various textures and techniques such as puff binders and tufting. In future projects, I intend to learn new embroidery processes and be more experimental with using interesting textural materials to print on. 


Stitching back into digital prints 
Within our group, I found that our research was quite sporadic at times due to lack of input from some group members. This meant that occasionally some contributions seemed a little off tangent and unrelated to our groups collaborative path. I also found that we all were slow starting our development due to complications with initial research, and therefore we found it hard to begin the collaboration process. Some group members also didn't contribute any samples or work until the day of mounting our exhibition piece, meaning that it was stressful, and difficult to link together as a cohesive 'story'. Although the majority of the group members were present in group meetings, I don't believe that the level of creative criticism and feedback was as consistent as it should have been. I believe this would have helped us create stronger work that pushed our artistic boundaries. Many of us played it safe within the confines of our disciplines. 

Even though I have admittedly felt disheartened by the lack of contribution and effort from some individuals, I do believe that collaboration and working alongside creatives is a very integral part of development. It has pushed my boundaries and built my confidence in exploring outside my discipline, made me ask questions, and taught me new skills in order to keep my work innovative and interesting. I have also learnt how to manage my time within the given constraints, and really consider the outcomes I want to produce. Due to being more organised and thoughtful, I have hugely developed my screen printing skills and am certain that I am in the suited discipline.

Comments

Popular Posts