Initial Sampling Development

Since the previous tutorial-review, I have thoroughly begun my sampling process using fabrics. I initially began by hand-dying a range of materials in order to gauge an interesting starting point to develop with. Netting seemed to be the most effective and visually interesting outcome from this process, and I was able to produce vivid shades of blue and pink. I intend to layer the netting onto my printed fabrics to add further textural interest and contrast in colour and use the other dyed-fabrics to print onto in order to explore how my prints react with a coloured underlay. I believe it also creates coherence to the 'geometric' element of the brief, as by placing grid-like structures over my prints, it will create a form of discipline; referring back to the concept of 'organised chaos'. 

I have also managed to finalise an A4 size ethos file which I intend to use in order to produce an intricately detailed sample using the combination of print and layered netting with an embroidery overlay. I figured that this would be an interesting way of experimenting with colour as well as reinforcing the textural value I hope to achieve. 

In the upcoming week, after experimenting with my current screens, I intend to perhaps invert one of them and change the scale in order to explore further dimension into my graphic prints. Discharge printing onto my netting and printed fabric will also perhaps be an interesting investigation, and something that I am intending to try.  

The most important factor will be to add more textural value to each sample; therefore stitching, tufting and using the embellisher will be integral in my development. 


Duplicating layers of a single screen using contrasting colours 

Duplicating layers of the same screen with a contrasting overlay

Experimenting with clashing tones 

Printing onto my hand-dyed fabrics




Comments

Popular Posts