Learning Agreement

My self initiated intentions are to create printed mixed media collaborations with experimental use of material fusing and manipulation that responds to the concept of cultural appropriation, and how multicultural society responds to the simplification of tribal print to fit the fast fashion industry and popular culture.

I plan to initially concentrate on research into tribal/indigenous cultures from around the world, looking for striking recurring motifs within traditional clothing, art forms and objects which respond to the environments they inhabit. To begin with, the first source of reference will be museums containing artifacts, which I intend to draw and perhaps use as primary research. Manchester museum will hopefully be of particular relevance. I then intend to link my artefact research to articles reflecting on 'tribal' or 'exotic' inspired trends.

Anita Quansah for Italian Vanity Fair 

Research into plant species that dwell within exotic climates will assist in the development of tribal inspired motifs, and therefore give me direction when refining my colour palette and compositions. My first point of action will be to explore the vast collection of library books containing detailed plant illustrations and use this as inspiration to begin my own drawings.

My concept is to use the overlaying of simplistic, bold shapes on tropical prints to symbolise tribal culture moving into urban landscapes.


Current inspiration 

The intended context for my printed outcomes will be for the fashion industry, therefore research into similar styles of tribal fashion will be relevant in my understanding into how my work would respond within the industry.

For the live aspect of this unit, I will be partaking in the 'Fashion, Form, Fabricate' brief, therefore will be taking a sculptural approach to my response to cultural appropriation, and creating a tangible outcome with the use of 3D printing. (Examples below both by Jane Bowler)










Comments

Popular Posts