FFF Character Reference


I initially found the overall concept of the FFF brief difficult to comprehend, as creating a product for a specific audience is something I rarely have to consider before the development process. Usually, the contextual aspect comes much later on when the compositions or designs have been produced. My 'collar' concept is somewhat a sculptural response to my in-depth research into cultural appropriation, concentrating on how 'tribal' trends are manipulated and simplified to fit fast fashion.
 
My initial thoughts in regards to my character were that they would be an individual who has left their indigenous heritage to move to an urban environment. They would perhaps be a model, celebrated for their striking features, and natural, paired back style; but powerful and confident in themselves. After presenting this concept to my group, it was suggested to research further into why tribal cultures adorn themselves in ceremonial-wear, as perhaps this would be reflected in my character, and it would reveal a slightly more realistic approach.
 
When deciding on materials to use, I was initially drawn to disperse-dyed plastics and fabrics with an interesting textural quality that would contrast well with my 3D printed components. I wanted to produce pieces that could be moved, interacted with and manipulated. Through sharing my concept again with peers, the suggestions of using heat methods to manipulate movement in plastic objects and to perhaps consider 'fringing' really began to fuel my development.
 
 
 
I continued my research by delving further into 3D fashion relating to tribal-trends, and found an interesting project named 'Caress of the Gaze' by Autodesk. They've engineered a 3D printed collar that moves, inspired by how animal-skin/print is used by predatory species in the wild. This inspired me further to investigate designers that produce 'modern', fashionable, tribal-wear, such as Anita Quansah Ldn, and look into the people that wear/model them. I don't want to restrict myself by thinking about what's deemed acceptable to wear within modern society, I want to create something that's a spectacle; that effectively celebrates individuality and identity within the vast popular culture of fast fashion.
 
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts