Miao: Dying Netting, Printing Pocesses and Ethos

This week, I decided to really concentrate on responding to our feedback within our tutorials and have been developing and manipulating using an array of new materials. I decided to initially dye netting in order to involve it in my sampling process as I believe the structural, geometric makeup of netting responds directly to our urban concept. I also think it would be an interesting element to layer with other fabrics in order to change texture and materiality.

Netting submerged in the dye bath
I kept the colours as close to our group colour palette as possible, but found it difficult to know exactly what shade the netting would become. By regulating the time I submerged the netting in the dye bath, I was able take note and therefore it was easier to recreate colours when I needed more. After the dye process, it was really interesting to discover that the net itself changes in texture and movement. It becomes much softer, and therefore easier to manipulate compared to it's previous rigid state. The 'grid' structure also shrinks, meaning that I ended up with a lot less fabric than what I initially started with.

Dyed netting outcome
 


Once dyed, I decided to further explore the potential outcomes of how I could incorporate it within interesting compositions. I decided to interpret some of my line manipulations of my architecture drawings into ETHOS embroidery in order to explore a different textural outcome. I experimented with stitching into both digital printed thick canvas and sheer surfaces. It definitely became more of a challenge with the finer fabrics due to it moving and 'slipping' in the hoop, meaning that some of my sheer outcomes were slightly uneven and bunched in places that used dense stitch. I thought my thicker printed fabrics were really successful, therefore will definitely move forward in developing this. Next time I will definitely consider backing my samples with something more rigid in order to make the outcomes look slightly more polished.




I decided to also begin screen printing experimentation by using stencil paper to create a few simple screen designs to then use with puff binder and flocking on some sheer and printed rigid fabrics. The process of cutting out shapes by hand was time consuming, and I didn't feel like it gave me clean lines on my prints. I also found that puff binder on sheer fabrics wasn't exactly as successful as I had hoped due to the uneven texture it creates. This doesn't reflect the clean lined geometric concept I am responding to.


 

Comments

Popular Posts