Biomimicry: Process and Development

 
Initially, in response to my cell-structure research I began to produce intricately drawn geometric prints, coloured with gouache and inks. Although at the time I enjoyed experimenting with line and shape, it became very time consuming and I felt like I was becoming to uniform and structured with my developments when in fact I wanted to experiment with the concept of both uniformity and informality. 
 
 


Continuing on from my initial geometric drawing designs, I then began looking specifically at the motifs and shapes within plant cell-structures and repeating elements. I layered acetate over print, and then over again to relax the uniformity and create outcomes that weren't necessarily expected.


 
 

 I decided to also take forward the concept of fabric manipulation, and therefore began dying netting and sheer fabrics to experiment with steaming. I found objects similar to cell-like structures and began bunching them together with elastic bands- I thought about the kind of textures I wanted to create. I also tested timing, and saw whether the length of time effected the outcome and the hold of the new created texture.
 
 
 
 
I also couldn't resist exploring my new concept with the use of ETHOS embroidery. I developed a print out of my motifs and then underlayed this with a contrasting refined circular print. After finding that layering up netting for the ethos with other sheer fabrics worked well, I was excited to push this further, varying the scale, print and colours to create a variety of outcomes.
  
 

Comments

Popular Posts