Biomimicry: Concept and Initial Research

 My research began by being intrigued by the term 'Biomimicry' which was included in the initial brief. When defined, the term is described as being:

'The design and production of materials, structures and systems that are modelled on biological entities and processes.'
 
 
Through interpretation, I simply translated this into the key terms Geometry, Repetition, Form and Print. My starting point was to begin looking into the intricate structure of plant cells, concentrating on repetition within their structures, and how this can be translated with the use of mark making.
 
 

  Microscopic Images of Silver Fir Tree Plant Cells


I began my research by specifically looking at prints, pieces and technology that are either inspired by plant-structures or have elements that reflect the cell-like forms I previously was looking into and relate to my interpretation of the term 'Biomimicry'. I thought also it would be an interesting starting point to have a ranging contrast of both organic, free form designs and also some technical geometric style concepts.

The Marimekko print below features repeating circular motifs using a 'free' style of mark making. I found the contrast of uniformity and informality an interesting element within a single print. This is again featured within Olivia Scarry's piece. The bubble-wrap-like shapes are regular and refined, but there are gaps again referring back to the contrast of neat and then the unexpected and unfamiliar.
 
  
Olivia Scarry- Prelude to Silence
Marikmekko

My research then developed further, delving into more of a conceptual train of thought. MIT Media Lab have been developing fabric technologies that are inspired by biological systems. These adapt and change depending on your body's state, helping you to cool down, especially when physically exerting yourself during exercise.


MIT Media Lab- 'Bio Skin'

 
Again, this couture fashion example relates well to my 'Biomimicry' approach to the brief. I found both the structure and movement of this garment interesting, and again can identify the uniformity of the grid-like circular print and then the 'free-ness' of the cut-out, petal-like pieces that freely fall during movement.
 
Christian Dior S/S 14 Haute Couture
 
Moto Guo's interesting take on traditional Shibori has inspired me to become textural with my developments, and I'm enthusiastic to begin combining the concept of uniformed/geometric-style print with steamed structures.
 

Moto Guo A/W 15



 







 


Comments

Popular Posts