Origins Unit

Throughout the module of 'Origins' we've been briefed with exploring mark making using the motifs 'Spots and Stripes' in each and every one of our workshops.

In the Embroidery and Mixed Media workshop, our challenge was to create 50 samples using stitch, fusing techniques and embellishment. This proved to be thought provoking due to having to create every sample as individual, whilst showing development of skills. My favourite samples would have to be trapping circular threads behind netting, and using the cording foot and structured lengths of material to make three-dimensional pieces.

Whilst exploring Print in the workshop, we were expected to take an experimental approach to colour mixing and print layering which contrasted to the more precise methods of colour swatching from images and then professionally mounting the finished samples. I really enjoy the process of experimenting with messy materials, to then trimming and mounting them to create something polished.

I must admit, I found the knit workshop the most challenging. Although I do enjoy hand-knitting in my own time, I found that the domestic knitting machines were a whole different scenario altogether! I did manage to understand the processes of how to construct the different knit-types, but this didn’t necessarily translate well when actually attempting them.

Weave was interesting as I had never explored this method before. I enjoyed the paper weaving, as well as using the table-top looms which were straightforward to understand, yet once used a few times could create really complex-looking and interesting outcomes. 

Comments

Popular Posts