Reflecting on 'Sampling'

Before delving into the 'Sampling' unit, I had not comprehended the amount of information that we would have been provided with. Now, looking back, I am excited with my new 'wealth' of knowledge. The introduction to Photoshop provided methods to technically understand the process of producing digital print directly from hand-drawn motifs to fabric.

Through the fast-paced module, I have been pushed out of my comfort zone which has developed my confidence in my drawing skills hugely. Through exploring motifs with different medias, it's adherent that even from the simplest motifs, the most intricate of prints can be created when manipulated digitally. Friday drawing sessions allowed me to take on an experimental approach to conventional drawing, building my courage to start recording significant events with image instead of text in interesting abstract forms.

The biggest challenge within this topic has been keeping the colour mood throughout my development in order to build a relationship between my motifs and prints. Looking back, I can see that I didn't reflect the darker tones often, therefore perhaps this is something I need to consider in the future in order to present slightly more considered outcomes.

By using a combination of digitally edited marks, with hand drawn motifs I believe I have created interesting and colour-stimulating results. My use of 'Flat' digital printed designs, in my opinion, are best suited for fashion based outcomes due to their 'animated' nature.

My knowledge of Photoshop and digital manipulation has improved hugely, especially when teamed with detailed notes and understanding which will allow me to revisit areas when needed. I will now be more confident to explore further and challenge myself with new digital techniques.

My screen printed outcomes are definitely not the strong point of this project. My lack of focus within the print room produced unrefined samples. I found it particularly difficult to determine the compositions and placements of motifs when printing by hand, therefore It would have been a vast improvement to plan my layered prints within my sketchbook. In the next unit I will also consider the placement of motifs when designing my screen as this is something I didn't think about as thoroughly, and therefore was a hindrance to development.


My favourite print from my tropical inspired collection


Papaya digital print 



Comments

Popular Posts