Developing Drawings and Motifs


My overall concept, at a glance, is the idea of responding to cultural appropriation; specifically looking into how tribal identity moves into urban landscapes. My inspiration has predominantly originated from research into tribal cultures and identities, and the interesting environments they inhabit.  
Tribal body print from the Omo tribe- Ethiopia (Book- Tribes by Art Wolfe)

By researching in the library, I came across a vast array of tropical and exotic plant books which aided my drawing process. By responding to the organic forms and exciting contrasting colours, I began to start to understand the origins of where tribal populations get their reference from for ceremonial wear and body prints; a lot of the forms they replicate and adorn are grown from nature itself.




Instead of directly responding to the plants depicted in my research material, I decided to concentrate on interesting structural elements and recurring shapes within the images. I also re-considered my colour palette, opting for a range of bright and contrasting hues, but with earthy tones that I intend to use as backgrounds for print composition. I intend to also begin my transition into exploring the geometric contrast that comes with moving into urban, structural environments; therefore now I have the backbone to creating prints, this is what I hope to develop in the upcoming week. 





Comments

Popular Posts