New Tribe: Inspiration

Continuing further into research, my investigation took the turn of beginning to look at unconventional approaches to the idea of cultural appropriation. I came across the book 'Stranger In Paradise' By Hew Locke, and found myself intrigued by the contrasting combination of adorned-installation and print.



I became obsessed with the contrasting, clashing colours which create a complete sense of chaos. 

I found the overall concept of the images disturbing with its deeply political-fuelled context, yet the image itself texturally interesting. I like the idea of physically appropriating an object or individual, as seen below using florals, materials, print to create an engaging outcome.




Another book I became inspired by is 'Mexico 90's: A Contemporary Architecture'. The images are of beautifully angled architecture, featuring repetition of geometric shapes within buildings. Interestingly when opening the particular pages of this book with my selected images from 'Stranger In Paradise', I found that the colours are almost exactly the same. This helped me to see the relationship/link between the two very separate subjects. 



Moving forward, I intend to continue making the link between urban environments and traditional developments. I hope to use these images as inspiration, and begin drawing repeated shapes to create geometric prints to overlay my free-hand drawn motif compositions. Through this process, I hope to be continuing to respond to the concept of cultures moving into urban environments and adapting to new surroundings.



Comments

Popular Posts