New Tribe: Ethos embroidery

I decided to directly respond to the Mexican 90's architecture images I collected from the library, layering the images with acetate and taking from them simplistic block shapes to which I intended to translate into Ethos embroidery. I intend to further develop this by using sheer fabrics to embroider on, therefore then being able to see the printed underlays that I hope to start developing.


Due to using the fill-stitch technique on APS Ethos, it was a slightly difficult process when stitching out due to the sheer fabrics slipping and catching, making small holes due to the close block of stitching. If I were to use this process again, I would definitely consider using an alternative to 'stitch and tear' which would make the sheer fabric more substantial and therefore less likely to move about.



With the sheer fabric, embroidered outcomes, I hope to continue reflecting on my concept of cultural elements moving into urban environments, perhaps pushing this concept further by experimenting with the contrast of sheer and rigid materials to express the urban element. 


Comments

Popular Posts